The History of Rochester Presbyterian Home
The Rochester Presbyterian Home has a long history of caring for Elders beginning with its incorporation in 1925!
A proposal to develop a Presbyterian Home for the Aged was discussed by the Rochester Presbytery. World War I intervened and delayed action.
Ms. Helen Niven donated her two story farm house and two acres of land on Thurston Road to the Presbytery. The home opened to serve 7 residents.
Ms. Mary Dunn led a campaign to raise $125,000 for the construction of North Hall. Opening in November of 1927, the Home served 44 residents. Ms. Niven and Ms. Dunn were responsible for founding the Home, which they designed as “a safe and happy haven for Presbyterians of the sunset years.”
With the construction of the South Hall addition, the Home increased capacity to serve 102 residents. Although this addition was originally designed as a skilled nursing facility to serve the residents as their needs progressed, the SNF license was not granted and South Hall continued to operate as an Adult Home with a major medical component. The Home’s Executive Director lived on site.
A resident of the Home, Mrs. Katherine Wight, donated the residential property at 226 Thurston to the Home. This has served as the residence for the past three Executive Directors.
Admission to the Rochester Presbyterian Home was open to persons of all faiths.
Rochester Presbyterian Home, in collaboration with Valley Manor (a custom apartment homes building on East Avenue), developed a joint homes committee of the Board with the intent of overseeing the development of a skilled nursing facility.
Rochester Presbyterian Home took title to the former Pavilion Nursing Home (located on Alexander Street).
Genesee Valley Presbyterian Nursing Center, doing business as Kirkhaven (formerly known as Pavilion Nursing Home), became a separate corporation and elected its own Board of Directors.
Rochester Presbyterian Home opened the Special Care Unit on the 4th floor of South Hall, in collaboration with Episcopal Church Home. It was called “Thurston Heights” and was the first dementia care unit in an Adult Home in Western New York.
Rochester Presbyterian Home, Kirkhaven, and Valley Member changed their corporate structure from a membership corporation of the Genesee Valley Presbytery to three separate corporations.
The Home’s dementia care program was expanded to include all of South Hall, serving 65 residents. The North Hall building was renovated to provide private bathrooms, and many South Hall residents relocated to North Hall’s Adult Living Center.
The Dementia Care Center renovations were completed; they emphasized replacing the institutional ambience with a more home-like environment.
Seniors First Corporation was established to include Kirkhaven and Valley Manor. Rochester Presbyterian Home declined this affiliation.
Rochester Presbyterian Home received the Quality of Life Award from the Alzheimer’s Association as the Outstanding Residential Provider.
Rochester Presbyterian Home became a certified Eden Alternative Residence.
The Home’s Board of Trustees resolved to expand operations with the development of four memory care residences in North Chili, New York.
Rochester Presbyterian Home opened “The Memory Care Residences at Cottage Grove” in North Chili, New York.
Rochester Presbyterian Home opens “The Memory Care Residences at Creekstone” in Perinton, New York.